At VIS Academy, our most important priority is comprehensive player development. Becoming a well-rounded and successful soccer player at the highest levels of competition requires a balance of mental, physical, and emotional factors, all of which must be fostered throughout a young player’s development. Before discussing the Four Pillars of Player Development, it is important to understand a few basic truths about young athletes and competitive sports.
1. Fun is Critical
If a young player is not having fun, they will not desire to excel
2. Fundamental skill development is a crucial aspect of fun
It is more important than winning, even among the best athletes.
3. The most rewarding challenges are those that lead to self-knowledge
Self-knowledge that grows out of self-competition
4. Intrinsic rewards are more important in creating lifetime athletes than are extrinsic rewards
Victory or attention from others leads only to momentary fulfilment.
5. Success is a process, not a product
Success is something players take ownership of and in time it becomes personally meaningful.
6. Only passion for the game can lead to success.